Clichy was the third of the principal French glassworks in the mid-19th century. Although only founded in 1842, it soon came to rival Baccarat and St. Louis, particularly in the production of paperweights. It produced a huge variety of complex millefiori canes, striking colour grounds and excellent lampwork. Clichy “roses” - including the rare turquoise, yellow, purple and green roses - became a kind of trademark for the factory. Few Clichy weights were signed; occasionally the letter “C” can be found in a cane, but the full word CLICHY is extremely rare. The take-over in 1885 signaled the demise of this great French glassworks.
Click on an image for details, sizes & enlarged views